We hope this message finds you healthy and well. We wanted to take a moment and let you know a little bit of some of the plans and changes that will be happening with the Fairfield Crystal Classic on March 12-13, 2021 and beyond. After much discussion with Fairfield staff, administration, and colleagues, we have felt that we want to make some immediate changes to our competition along with some ‘plans’ that we will keep you informed of as we navigate through the ongoing pandemic.
At this moment, we plan to continue forward with the Fairfield Crystal Classic under the assumption that we will be through the pandemic by March 2021. In the case that we are not, we will make a call by January 15, 2021 so that our participants and spectators have enough notice for their plans. At this time, we do not plan to provide an alternative date for the 2021 competition season should we not be able to host a competition on March 12-13, 2021. In addition, there will not be a virtual option to compete in at Fairfield.
Moving forward, we do plan to make some of the following changes:
- Fairfield will no longer be offering finals. Through much discussion, the benefits do not seem to out weight the cons of having finals. Show choir competition days are becoming longer and longer – we want to eliminate late nights for everyone. Although it is a benefit at times to get feedback and work to improve, this nearly is impossible at most competitions due to the timeliness of feedback, the space to work, etc. There is nothing wrong with coming into a competition and giving it your best the first and only time. Sports teams don’t get to come back later that evening and re-play the game. They take what they learned from the game and work to be better the next week. In addition, eliminating finals allows for more groups to attend.
- Fairfield will be reconfiguring scoring so that the students are ONLY being scored on what the students themselves have control of. Costuming, Special Effects, Show Design, etc. will still have caption awards, but will no longer be a part of the overall score. In addition, band will no longer be a part of the overall score as not every group has all students in the their band. We find it unfair to factor scores for band into overall scores that can be considered unfair if a group has adults in their band.
- We will be reconfiguring our ‘classes’ for competition. We will be doing a high school small mixed, medium mixed, and large mixed division. We will continue the middle school division and single-gender divisions. HS Small Mixed will be defined as 0-30 members, HS Medium Mixed will be defined as 31-45 members, and HS Large Mixed will be defined as 46+ members. Division will not be based on school size.
- We will be adding achievement levels to scoring. In addition to placement awards, achievement awards will be awarded to each group. For groups scoring 98%-100% of the possible points, they will receive a diamond rating. For groups scoring 89%-97% of the possible points, they will receive a gold rating. For groups scoring 80%-88% of the possible points, they will receive a silver rating. For groups scoring 79% or below of the possible points, they will receive a bronze rating. This rating system allows for all groups to work towards levels and compete against themselves each year they return to the Fairfield Crystal Classic.
- We will provide a live stream of both of our venues to allow for those who cannot be in attendance a chance to see all of the amazing groups perform.
Things that we plan to continue to do:
- Provide top-notch experiences in both of our performing spaces. We pride ourselves on providing some of the best lighting, sound, and special effects to make your students feel like rock-stars on stage as they perform.
- Hire highly-qualified judges to adjudicate your groups and rotate them so you aren’t getting the same judges each year.
- Great food including specialized food trucks throughout the entire day.
- And much more!
We appreciate your support and understanding as we utilize these trying times as a means to reflect and improve our competition and experience for all involved.
Looking forward to seeing many of you return to our competition when it is safe to do so.
We know the 2020 show choir season came to an unexpected halt, but we hope that what you were able to have was enjoyable. As we look towards the 2021 competition season, please consider us as one of your stops! The Fairfield Crystal Classic has consistently been seen as a great competition for groups of all kinds to compete. We house five different divisions: Middle School Mixed/Single-Gender, High School Single-Gender, High School Small Mixed, High School Medium Mixed, and High School Large Mixed. The event happens over a period of two days. Middle School groups compete on Friday night (March 12, 2021) and the High School groups compete on Saturday (March 13, 2021).
As always, our competition will host an amazing setup of lighting, sound, and special effects. Students often comment on how their performance feels like a rock concert at Crystal Classic. From our unique introductions to the end of the night dance party, it’s sure to be a favorite of your students and parents! We have many options for eating both inside and outside at our food trucks. Food is served from the time the competition begins to the time you leave. Get your portrait drawn, buy some merchandise, or get a relaxing massage. There are many fun options to do in between seeing all of the amazing groups attending the competition. We always have great judges, utilize the Carmen scoring system, and some of the best lighting and sound experiences.
Directors will be taken care of in our lounge from beginning to end. Mixed groups get two rooms, single-gender groups get one room. Solo Competition is held at the state-of-the-art Freshman Campus Theater and winners are given scholarships to SCA that value over $700!
Friday, March 12, 2021
MS Mixed and Single-Gender Groups
Saturday, March 13, 2021
HS Single Gender Groups
HS Small Mixed Groups
HS Medium Mixed Groups
HS Large Mixed Groups
It’s important to know that we are already almost full as many of our groups that were coming this past year are attending due to the cancellation of our event.